We won’t draw up a long list here, but we do want to give some practical tips for skiers who travel by car.
Check your car before you leave:
• Check the windscreen washer level and have extra anti-freeze fluid ready in your car.
• Winter tires are mandatory in some countries (Germany, Luxembourg, Norway, Austria, Sweden, and in specific regions in France, Italy, Switzerland and the Czech Republic). Also check your tire pressure.
• Your car battery should be in perfect working condition. Winter conditions are a burden on a car battery, especially when you leave the car parked for a week at the resort.
• Snow chains: see also our blog post ‘commitments per country’
• Ice scraper, de-icer spray and / or final thaw
• A snow shovel (mandatory in certain Scandinavian countries)
• A thermal blanket: you can use it in case of engine trouble, but also for accidents on the track.
• Good sunglasses: in a snowy landscape the sun can dazzle.
And don’t forget: you should have the necessary non-alcoholic drinks and a little bit of food in the car. You might get stuck in traffic jams for hours.